Confused Words

Confused Words


Some words sound alike but have different meanings and different spellings. These words, called homophones, often create confusion in writing. While there are many such words, the following list represents a few of most common ones that give writers trouble.

 

 

accept/except

 

Accept is a verb. In other words, someone or something must be doing the accepting.

 

I accept your proposal of marriage.

 

That store does not accept credit cards.

 

Except functions like the word “excluding.”

 

I like all ice cream flavors except chocolate.

 

I am free every day except Thursday.

 

Hint: If you want to exclude something, use except because they both start with exc. Ac-cept is an action (verb), and both begin with A.

 

 

affect/effect

 

Affect is a verb; someone or something must “affect” something else.

 

That movie affected me quite a bit. (The movie did the affecting.) Effect mostly functions as a noun.

That movie had an effect on my sleep. (Effect is a “thing” (noun) that happened as a result of the movie.)

 

Hint: Affect starts with an “A” like the word action, so that is the verb.



are/our

 

Are is a form of the verb “be” and describes a state of being or functions as an equals sign linking two parts of a sentence.

 

We are driving to California next week.

 

Our is the possessive form of “we.”

 

We are driving to California next week. Our grandparents are meeting us there.

 

 

conscience/conscious

 

Conscience is your inner voice that tells you what is right or wrong.

 

My conscience told me not to stay at that party.

 

Conscious indicates awareness.

 

I felt self-conscious on my first day of class.

 

Hint: Your inner voice reminds you of the SCIENCE of right and wrong = conSCIENCE

 

 

farther/further

 

Farther refers to a distance that can be measured.

 

How much farther do we have to walk?

 

Further indicates unmeasurable, abstract distance.

 

I don’t want to talk about this any further.

 

Hint: A = actual (fArther), U = unreal (fUrther)

 

 

feel/fill

 

Feel means to touch something or have a sensation.

 

I feel happy when my friends come to visit me.

 

Fill means to make full.

 

Please fill that vase with water.


 

its/it’s

 

Its is the possessive form of the pronoun “it.”

 

The dog lost its collar while we were camping.

 

It’s is the contraction for “it is.”

 

It’s not too late to change your mind.

 

Hint: The source of confusion here is that we think an apostrophe is used to show posses-sion (Bob’s car). While this is true, the word “its” is already a possessive word by nature, like the words “his” or “her.” You do not need to make it possessive with an apostrophe. Whenever you come across “it’s” read it as “it is.”

 

 

lay/lie

 

Lay is a verb and must be accompanied by an object.

 

Lay the paper down on the desk.

 

Lie means “to recline.”

 

You should go lie down on the bed.

 

Hint: lAy = plAce, lIe = reclIne. (A possible source of confusion is that the past tense of lie is lay.)

 

 

loose/lose

 

Loose is the opposite of tight.

 

The lid on the jar is loose.

 

Lose is the present form of lost.

 

Stay close so we don’t lose you in the crowd.

 

 

of/have


 

Be careful whenever could of, should of, would of, might of, or must of appear in your writing. It almost always indicates an incorrect use of could have, should have, would have, might have, and must have.


 

Incorrect: I could of won if that guy hadn’t tripped me.

 

Correct: I could have (could’ve) won if that guy hadn’t tripped me.

 

Incorrect: I should of gone to Hawaii with my friends.

 

Correct: I should’ve (should have) gone to Hawaii with my friends.

 

 

passed/past

 

Passed is the past tense of the verb “to pass.”

 

I passed that car on the freeway yesterday.

 

Past refers to time

 

There is something suspicious about her past.

 

Past also indicates “beyond.”

 

Go past the next light, then turn right.

 

 

principal/principle

 

Principal means “main,” like the main administrator of a school.

 

The principal reason for this problem is bad planning.

 

The principal will direct the assembly today.

 

Principle is an ideal or truth.

 

I won’t lie to you because it is against my principles.

 

Hint: The princiPAL is your pal.

 

 

sense/since

 

Sense relates to:

 

Perception

 

I sense your frustration.

 

Intelligence, reason

 

Use common sense.

 

That doesn’t make sense.

 

A “feel” for how something works

 

sense of humor

 

sense of justice

 

Since relates to:

 

Time

 

We haven’t eaten since noon.

 

Because

 

Since we haven’t eaten, let’s take a lunch break.

 

 

than/then

 

Than indicates comparison: better than, worse than, taller than, colder than, etc.

 

I like apples more than oranges.

 

Then indicates sequence or consequence: First____ then ____. If ___, then____.

 

We went to the store then the post office.

 

If you don’t study for the test, then you won’t pass this class.

 

Hint: The word compAre contains the letter A just like thAn. The words sequEnce and consequEnce contain the letter E just like thEn.

 

 

their/there/they’re

 

Their shows possession.

 

I just love their new car.

 

There indicates place or existence.

 

Put the cup right there. (indicates place)

 

There is a problem. (indicates existence)



They’re is a contraction of the words they are.

 

They’re the nicest people you will ever meet.

 

Hint: The word their has an “I” in it, and “I” like to possess things.

 

 

to/too

 

Too means also or indicates an excess of something.

 

I like to go to the movies too. (also)

 

That movie had too much violence. (excess)

 

To should be used in all other cases.

 

 

weather/whether

 

Weather relates to atmospheric conditions.

 

I hope the weather is nice today.

 

Whether introduces an option.

 

It doesn’t matter whether or not you agree with me.

 

 

wear/where

 

Wear relates to clothing or carrying anything upon one’s person.

 

I usually don’t wear earrings.

 

Where indicates place.

 

I want to live where wild animals roam free.

 

 

were/we’re


 

Were is a past tense form of the verb to be.

 

We were at the party together last night.

 

We’re is a contraction of we are.


 

We’re going to win the lottery any day now.

 

 

 

 

whose/who’s

 

Whose shows possession.

 

Whose jacket is this?

 

Who’s is a contraction for who is.

 

Who’s going to the movie with me?